After securing funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund, Wigan MBC recently commissioned TRA to prepare a training session to assist in creating a Townscape Heritage Initiative (THI) for an area of the town. The session was for the benefit of local authority staff and developers, to help promote investment in older buildings and encourage their re-use, e.g. benefits, problems and issues, how to overcome, finding the best and most viable uses etc.
The workshop explored the cultural, economic and symbolic value of the historic environment and best practice approaches to the care and protection of heritage in the context of planning and development.
Subjects covered were:
- the regulatory frameworks that provide the tools to evaluate proposals
- concepts such as 'significance' and the key survey and contextual information required to make a successful planning or Listed Building Consent application
- the various options and mechanisms available to help recognise the challenging funding environment and issues around viability.
Delegates were also given the opportunity to undertake a field exercise to help increase awareness of a historic area and the various components that make up the character and appearance.
The session was prepared and delivered by TRA Presenter, Tim Crawshaw, and feedback from the session was excellent:
- I found Tim’s style of training to be a breath of fresh air – his approach was great and I think kept up a level of interest and involvement of the group, and certainly drew information from them. Ian Rowan
- Exceeded expectation. Content prompted thoughtful and intensive conversations throughout the group. Found these conservations to be very engaging and thought provoking. Thomas Smith
- I was expecting to already know a lot of the content but found a lot of new information. The practical exercise was useful. P. Rowlinson
- It exceeded my expectations. It was very informative, a very useful tool moving forward. Seb Solisbury
- Good to get such a wide consideration of Heritage and the interpretation and understanding. Particularly liked the sharing of buildings where the heritage is important. Very good, open and involving speaker. Andrew Ruanx
This session was prepared as a bespoke workshop, taking into account the clients very specific needs. TRA is very experienced in providing bespoke or tailored sessions; so if you have any particular requirements, or would like to tailor one of our existing workshops to meet your specific needs, please contact Angela Holmes directly, for more information.