The London Borough of Waltham Forest recently commissioned TRA to deliver an in-house workshop on the Use of Conditions: necessary, precise and enforceable.
This popular workshop is suitable for anyone involved in drafting conditions or in monitoring and enforcing them. It offers a unique opportunity for everyone involved with conditions to get together to discuss and understand the common issues and potential problems.
Topics covered included:
- meeting the legal tests for the use of conditions
- using/reviewing "model" conditions
- the importance of giving sound and convincing reasons
- s106 or condition?
- handling s73 applications to vary/remove conditions.
Since the NPPF (para.207) requires LPAs to consider producing Local Enforcement Plans, not only to explain how they will deal with breaches of planning control such as a breach of condition but also how they will monitor the implementation of planning permissions, this workshop also looked at issues regarding monitoring and securing compliance with conditions, including:
- monitoring issues
- Is a “pre-commencement” condition needed?
- What is a “genuine” pre-commencement condition? What are the implications if it is not complied with?
- different types of condition and immunity periods
- the use of Breach of Condition Notice (BCN) and Breach of Condition Enforcement Notice (BCEN).
The session was delivered by TRA Senior Associate, Vivien Green, and course feedback was very complimentary:
- Vivien has put on an excellent training workshop. She is super knowledgeable, and all of the information was delivered in digestible and accessible ways. Covered a huge amount of complex content in a day. Elisabeth Glover
- Totally met my expectations. Useful information and many things to consider when applying conditions to Decision Notices. Eshan Hussain
- A very informative and complete workshop. Pedro Rizi
- Very detailed, well presented and structured. Jonathan Ashworth
- The training exceeded our expectations and was incredibly useful. I would highly recommend this workshop to all authorities. Vivien was very engaging and kept our attention throughout the very intensive training workshop. Sonia Malcolm.
If you would like to receive more information on running this workshop on an in-house basis, please contact Angela Holmes for a no obligation quotation.
Please note that the prices we quote for in-house training are all inclusive and therefore include all of our fees, presenter expenses and pre-course/course material – so no hidden extras!
This workshop is also running as part of TRA’s 2019/20 inter-authority programme on the 26th September in London – see our website for details.