TRA was recently commissioned by Mid Devon District Council to develop and deliver a bespoke in-house workshop for the benefit of their support staff and staff from neighbouring authorities. The aim of the workshop was to develop and enhance the knowledge of participants in relation to several areas of planning practice including Permitted Development, Listed Building Control, and Validation and Prior Approval Notifications.
The morning session focused initially on Permitted Development: explaining exactly where it comes from, how it works, and how to interpret and apply some of the most frequently visited classes such as Householder and Minor Operational Development. Next under the spotlight was Listed Building Control, looking at: What is a Listed Building?: the differences between planning and listed building control; how to define the curtilage of a listed building; the national/local requirements for a valid listed building application; and the statutory notification and publicity that an application may require.
The afternoon session began by looking at the validation of different types of planning applications: national and local requirements; handling applications that are found not to be valid; and the statutory consultations, publicity and notifications that planning applications require. Moving on to prior approval notifications - a process which is not always properly understood - the workshop clarified this procedure and helped participants develop the necessary knowledge and confidence to deal with several of the classes.
The training was developed and delivered by popular TRA Presenter, Vivien Green, and attendee feedback was excellent:
- Excellent, a wide breadth of subject material, comprehensive knowledge and the Presenter answered all questions fully. Angie Sanders, Cornwall
- It was very useful, especially in regards to Validation. Nicki Broad, Mid Devon
- Very clear and informative. Louise Golding, Teignbridge
- Really relevant and informative. The Presenter made the topics very interesting and gave good examples. Karen Knight, Teignbridge
- A lot of information presented. Very interesting; good to keep up to date. C A Goff, Mid Devon
- I enjoyed the interactive parts especially. Lots of content and information to share. Alison Johnston, Cornwall.
If you would like more information on the above workshop or you have a particular training need and think a bespoke workshop might be required, please do not hesitate Angela Holmes directly to discuss your needs and receive a no obligation quotation.