Planners, and particularly middle-tier managers, often find themselves thrust into the spotlight by having to make presentations to Planning Committees, Area Committees, pressure groups, other stakeholders etc. These presentations often represent "make or break" occasions and how they go can have a significant impact on the quality of the outcome being sought. However, it is still unusual to find that those presenting have received any kind of formal training in presentation skills.
It is with this in mind that TRA was recently commissioned to deliver in-house training on Presentation Skills for Planners for both Rushcliffe and Welwyn Hatfield Borough Councils.
This interactive workshop helps to raise participants' awareness of their own strengths and weaknesses and provides some tried and tested tips and techniques to help them get their message across.
The sessions, both of which were delivered by TRA Presenter, Chris Weetman, received very positive feedback from the participants:
- Very useful and informative, some good tips on overcoming nerves and preparing for presenting. Laurence Rayner, Rushcliffe BC
- I found the appraisal of presentations very useful as well as how presentations are viewed from outside, which is very informative. The tips for overcoming nerves were good. Greg Sharman, Rushcliffe BC
- I found the afternoon ‘improv’ presentations very useful; theory and advice on presentation skills, nervousness, pace etc was really useful. I found the feedback from presentations constructive, without singling anyone out. Really good session. Matt Hilton, Rushcliffe BC
- The practical elements of the session were really helpful, even though I had not been looking forward to that aspect. It helped improve my confidence. Gill Claxton, Welwyn Hatfield BC
- I thought the focus on self-analysis and improving the approach of the individual rather than a more prescriptive “how to” approach, worked well. Matt Pyecroft, Welwyn Hatfield BC
- I found the workshop to be really useful and was great practice. The Presenter was helpful in providing honest feedback; I now know where to improve and have gained confidence in my presenting skills, so thank you! Lucy Hale, Welwyn Hatfield BC
- I thought the workshop was well structured and found it really useful to listen to other people’s presentations to learn about different styles and improvement measures. Sarah Nunn, Welwyn Hatfield BC.
If you think that officers in your authority would benefit from attending the above course and you would like to receive more information, such as an outline programme, then please contact Angela Holmes who would be happy to provide you with a detailed quotation.
Please remember that the prices we quote are ‘all-in’ so there are no hidden extras and our clients are aware from the outset what they can expect to pay at the invoicing stage.