TRA recently delivered the second of two in-house workshops commissioned by Buckinghamshire County Council. The latest session provided An Introduction to Appeals and followed a successful session on Environmental Impact Assessment delivered at the end of September.
This established workshop provided an overview of the appeals process and practical guidance on the skills required; ideal for those new to planning or with limited experience.
Aspects covered included:
- rights of appeal
- the role of Inspectors and the courts
- recent trends, including the Government’s view of how the appeals system should operate and the current culture and expectations of the Planning Inspectorate
- key points from the Regulations and national guidance
- good practice advice generally.
The workshop introduced the key characteristics of the three methods of appeal (written representations, hearings and public inquiries), looking at the main differences between them. Practical advice was given on how to prepare adequately; what makes a good appeal statement (and what doesn’t); and the best approach to giving oral evidence, both at hearings and public inquiries.
The session was delivered by TRA Senior Associate, David Kaiserman and course feedback was very encouraging:
- A very thorough and easy to follow course.
- Very helpful and informative. Well presented.
- All questions were answered well. The course is very informative.
- Examples were very clear. Well delivered.
- It clarified a lot of things. Although I have had formal training before, this put the subject in a wider context.
- The session met my expectations. Learnt a lot about pre-inquiry interactions between statutory parties.
If you have any requirements for training on the Appeals process and would like to discuss your particular needs, please do not hesitate to contact Angela Holmes for more information and to receive a detailed quotation. The prices we quote are ‘all inclusive’ and therefore include all of our fees, Presenter’s expenses and pre-course/course material – so no hidden extras at invoicing time!