TRA is the UK’s leading provider of practitioner-presented training for Councillors involved in planning and has trained Councillors in more than 250 local authorities throughout England, Scotland and Wales.
Even if this kind of training has traditionally been delivered by your own officers, it is certainly worth considering an “external” training session provided by TRA. These sessions are delivered by our experienced team of presenters, all of whom are planning practitioners, as opposed to academics.
Where Councillors have already undertaken basic training, we are able to conduct more detailed sessions on specific aspects of planning. These are mainly half-day "modules" with a single presenter. Topics include specialist aspects of planning and updates on policy, procedure and good practice. Some of the topics we currently offer include:
- how to deliver quality residential schemes (NEW)
- planning enforcement
- good practice for DM/planning committees
- support for Councillors on planning committee chairing skills (NEW)
- understanding development in the Green Belt (NEW)
- trees and the planning process
- green infrastructure (NEW).
This is a small selection of the sessions that we can run exclusively on an in-house basis; a full list can be found on our website. If required we are also happy to consider designing bespoke sessions, or tailoring an existing programme to suit an individual client’s needs – please do not hesitate to ask if you have any specific requirements.
For more general training on the planning system, we are also still able to offer our most popular one-day workshops:
- A Briefing on Planning for Councillors (two presenters) – covering planning procedures and policies, and focusing especially on Development Management (available in full day and half day formats)
- The Role of Councillors in Planning: propriety and good practice (two presenters) - covering issues such as conflicts and declarations of interest, material considerations, lobbying, and making the decision (available in full day and half day formats)
- A Planning workshop for Councillors - (one presenter) – this session combines elements from both of the above workshops to give a broad overview of planning and a Councillor’s role. (full day format only)
If you would like more information on any of our in-house training workshops for Councillors, including an outline programme, then please do not hesitate to contact Angela Holmes for a no-obligation quotation.